Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Disnerd Pumpkin Adventure

A couple weekends ago I went to a corn maze and pumpkin patch with some friends. It was absolutely the perfect fall day - warm and sunny and wonderful! Fall is seriously one of the best things about living in the Midwest. I know seasons happen in other areas too - but nowhere else do you get that perfect combination of beautiful fall colors, crisp air, freshly pressed apple cider and donuts, corn mazes, hayrides and pumpkin patches. Seriously, those of you on the coasts or in the south, you are missing out!

Anyway, as any good Disnerd would do, I took the opportunity to have some Disnerd-y fun. Here's my pumpkin adventure!
I already knew what I was planning to carve, so I picked my pumpkin according to size and flatness.

I printed out this template from this Disney family website. They had a bunch of options but I thought classic Mickey would be best. Kylene wanted me to try to carve Flynn Rider - but I think that would be too hard. How do you communicate "smolder" on a big ol' pumpkin? I thought later that it would have been fun and appropriate to carve Cinderella's stagecoach on there - but again, too complicated! Maybe next year.

I used a nail to poke holes all along all the lines. You wouldn't think it would take that long but I was nearly the last one to finish my pumpkin!
Here's how it looked freshly carved! Not bad for my second carved pumpkin ever! (My first time was just last year!)
Ta da! Here it is all lit up! People kept saying it was vampire Mickey but those are just the indents around his tongue. Oh well, I suppose he can be a vampire since it's Halloween.

I saved the pumpkin for my Halloween party (blog post coming soon!) but alas, it got a bit moldy. I would have kept it outside but I was warned that it would get eaten by bugs. Oh well. It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment