Well, I already do. Timon and Pumbaa are hands down THE best Disney sidekicks.
Their genius is even more amazing when you realize that they actually only have about half an hour of screen time. Although my review of The Lion King won't be for months, I thought I needed at least some sort of post from my Lion King 3D viewing. So here it is: my homage to Timon and Pumbaa.
These guys are the classic odd couple. Timon is the a bossy smart-alec meerkat who thinks he knows everything. Pumbaa, the lovable warthog, is a little less self confident and yet quite resourceful. They are drawn together as friends because of what they do have in common - being outcasts. (We don't know Timon's story from this movie, but The Lion King 1 1/2 fills us in. It's a kind of "mid-quel" and actually quite funny. I recommend it for any Timon and Pumbaa fans.) And although their "Hakuna Matata" way of life may seem escapist or avoidant, they develop a strong bond with Simba, showing courage and loyalty even in dangerous times.
But as a good sidekick, what's most memorable about Timon and Pumbaa are their hilarious lines of dialogue. It seems like everything that comes out of their mouth could become a comedic quote. Here are a few of my favorites. Make sure you vote for your favorite in my poll on the left column!
(1) Meeting Simba - This whole interaction just says so much about their characters in their first few moments on screen. I love how proud Pumbaa is of his observation.
T: Wow, he looks blue.
P: I'd say brownish gold!
T: No, no ,no, I mean he's depressed.
I couldn't find the first clip in English so I had to combine it with Hakuna Matata. You can watch (1) at 1:48-1:53 and (2) at 4:16-4:23
(2) Hakuna Matata - These lyrics are so genius, because we all know what Pumbaa was about to sing, and we laugh because fart jokes never get old.
P: And I got down-hearted.
How did you feel?
Everytime that I...
T: Pumbaa, not in front of the kids.
(3) Under the Stars - Just one example of Timon being smart, and Pumbaa being brilliant.
P: Hey, Timon, ever wonder what those sparkly dots are up there?
T: Pumbaa, I don't wonder; I know.
P: Oh. What are they?
T: They're fireflies. Fireflies that, uh... got stuck up on that big bluish-black thing.
P: Oh, gee. I always thought they were balls of gas burning billions of miles away.
T: Pumbaa, wit' you, everything's gas.
(4) Can you feel the sarcasm tonight? Apparently Elton John was worried about Timon & Pumbaa singing his beloved ballad. I don't think he had anything to worry about. Their part keeps it from becoming an awkward mushy love song about two animals.
T: And if he falls in love tonight /it can be assumed
P: His carefree days with us are history
T: In short our pal is doomed!
(5) Dress in drag and do the hula? Even during the dramatic scene, Timon and Pumbaa manage to steal the show with the most hilarious dance/musical sequence ever!
T: Luau!! If you're hungry for a hunk of fat
and juicy meat / Eat my buddy Pumbaa here, 'cause he is a treat / Come
on down and dine / On this tasty swine/ All you hafta do is get in line.
/ Arrrre you achin'...
P: Yup, yup, yup.
Forrrr some bacon?
P: Yup, yup, yup.
T: Heee's a big pig.
P: Yup, yup.
T: You can be a big pig, too. Oy!
There were so many others but I had to narrow it down. Feel free to add your own favorite Timon & Pumbaa moments in the comments! And don't forget to vote in the poll!