Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Disnerd Birthday

so glad they managed to include a floating head in this poster! :)
I have so totally embraced my Disnerd identity that I decided to celebrate my birthday by watching The Lion King in 3D with a bunch of friends. It was so fun to watch my favorite Disney movie on a big screen with a live audience! The 3D part was cool, although, for such a great movie, you don't really need fancy effects to add to the experience. Still, it was fun to see what they did to adapt the film for the 3D screen. My favorite part was probably "The Circle of Life" opening scene. I'm not sure if it was just the excitement of seeing the movie in theaters again, but I totally got chills watching that part. :)

The audience was filled with families with young kids who had probably never seen the movie before. Or if they had, they certainly did not know it as well as the rest of us in the audience, who were clearly in their 20s or 30s and who had grown up in the Disney Renaissance era (1990s - best Disney era EVER). So it was very entertaining to watch the movie both with kids who were reacting to all the humor, drama and fun for the first time, as well as with other adults who shamelessly sang along to all the songs and were quoting lines before they were spoken. I loved that multigenerational experience - it's what I love so much about Disney movies. No matter what age you are they can be enjoyed over and over again. Even though I know nearly the whole movie by heart, I was still struck with awe, sadness, fear and laughter throughout the whole film.

I'm saving a full review of The Lion King for when it's time to watch it in order. But one of my next posts will be dedicated to my favorite sidekick duo, Timon & Pumbaa! stay tuned! 

My birthday was full of other Disnerdy goodness as well including:
  • My team at work threw me a Tangled-themed birthday celebration, complete with Tangled paper plates, napkins and Happy Birthday banner. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the actual occasion (it was a surprise and so I was not prepared with a camera!) but I saved some of the napkins and the banner!

the front of the napkin has rapunzel on it, but this is the side that's pinned up on my bulletin board. hehe
  • Kylene lent me her cute Minnie Mouse ears to wear at the movie theater (I took them off during the actual movie since I didn't want to be rude to the people behind me.) 
sorry it's blurry, blame elizabeth! :)
  • My two infographic partners in crime, Glenn and Abi, drew me these great infographics on the back of the birthday card from my team. Okay so Glenn's isn't really Disney-related but it's still awesome. 

  • And last but not least, my brother Tim sent me the Blu-ray/DVD combo version of Tangled! I am super excited about that, even though I don't have a Blu-ray player. I must find one so that I can watch all the special features! 
is it me or do i have a few more wrinkles than before?
 A BIG thank you to all my friends, family and colleagues for making my Disnerd birthday such a special one! I am truly blessed; not only do people still love me despite the fact that I'm such a Disnerd, they also embrace it and celebrate with me!

these post-meal pics are always kind of awkward. oh well! thanks ladies for a wonderful night!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Also, Grete and I kinda look alike in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including us all in your birthday celebration! I LOVE sharing these experiences with you!
    And Becky...it must be a Grete/intern named Becky thing...it happened to Grete and Becky E from this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. same here! it was a really fun night celebrating with you, laura! watching The Lion King brought back so many great memories of that 90's era, and the margaritas and laughter than followed topped off the great night. :) you should have more birthdays. :)

    ReplyDelete